* First-Aid kit – Although attacks are rare in the area, injuries can occur. Snakebites and scorpion stings are rare, but sand lice comes out at night in the riverbeds.
* Map – As the roads are not always clearly marked, a decent map is essential. Info Map provides a detailed map of the Richtersveld.
* GPS – will provide additions assurance.
* Water – You need about 6 litres of water per person per day for cooking and consumption. Water from the river is safe when boiled.
* Camping fridge – A good fridge will allow you to enjoy the “cold ones” at campsites.
* Firewood – Visitors are not allowed to collect firewood, so take enough wood or charcoal to enjoy your braai at campsites.
* Tent – Camping is as comfortable as you make it. Whatever you want to use, including sleeping bags, ground sheets, duvet, pillows, pots, pans, braai, dishwashing liquid, black rubbish bags, etc. you have to carry with you. Please note that you are expected to take all rubbish with you and leave campsites clean. Rubbish can be dumped at the exit gates.
* Toilet accessories, including enough toilet paper and insect repellent.
* Guidebook on scorpions and snakes
* Fuel – Fuel is available at the entrance to the park at Sendelingsdrift. Only leaded fuel and diesel is available. Filling up at Alexander Bay should be sufficient, but for peace of mind, take extra fuel.
- Insect Repellent is strongly recommended
- Binoculars and cameras are a must
- Cotton sheets will keep insects at bay.
- Plastic refuse bags are essential as all rubbish must be removed on departure.
- Firewood and kindling may not be collected in the park.
- Gas cookers are recommended due to evening winds.
- Extra spare wheel, tools, spares, enough food and extra water containers are essential.
- Make sure that you always have a good supply of water. Fresh water is available at Sendelingsdrift.
- Do not sleep on the bare ground as the park is ideal scorpion habitat.
- Driving off indicated routes and outside camping sites is a serious offence. It is harmful to the park and dangerous to the visitor.
- Scarves protect against dust and wet towels from extreme heat. Provide clothing for extreme temperatures.
- No pets, generators or outboard motors permitted.
- Picking of plants, removal of seeds, rocks, crystals or driftwood is an offence. Please help us to preserve the |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld’s wilderness atmosphere.